Submissions for our Spring 2018 issue closed on March 24. (Submissions received after that date will be held for consideration in our fall issue.)
We accept translations of poetry, short or excerpted fiction, plays, and literary nonfiction. We also welcome visual art submissions of any medium to be featured alongside our translations.
We also consider English-language reviews, interviews, and essays on translation and translation studies for publication on our blog. Writers of reviews and interviews should query the blog editor at email@example.com, subject line “Blog.”
We happily accept simultaneous submissions, but ask that you notify us if your work is accepted elsewhere. Note that we no longer accept submissions via post.
To be considered for publication, submissions must include:
- both the original and the translation in a copy-pastable format (i.e., we prefer not to receive pdfs);
- 50- to 100-word biographies of both author and translator;
- a short note on the process of translation (refer to our previously published notes for ideas);
- and permission for online publication of the original text from the author or rightsholder(s).
Please collate the above in a single .doc attachment with the file name formatted as translator's surname_author's surname_english title.doc (e.g. Smith_Doe_Stories.doc) and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of your email should be SUBMISSION-Translator's name, Author's name (e.g. SUBMISSION-John Smith, Jane Doe). Submissions without all four requested components will not be accepted for publication.
If your work has previously been published by Exchanges, we ask that you consider waiting a submission cycle before submitting new work.
Guidelines for length
- poetry: up to 7 poems;
- fiction: up to 4,000 words;
- drama: up to 15 pages;
- literary nonfiction: up to 4,000 words, or up to 2,500 words for translated criticism;
- reviews: up to 500 words (longer pieces may be acceptable if multiple works are being reviewed together);
- interviews: up to 2,500 words;
- essays on translation: up to 2,500 words.
To submit works of visual media:
- Photos or scans should be at least 1000 × 1000 pixels in size, and 72 dpi resolution.
Please submit photos or scans of the media in .jpg format with the file name formatted as artist's surname_piece title.jpg (e.g. Smith_Art.jpg) to email@example.com. The subject of your email should be VISUAL SUBMISSION-Artist's name, Piece Title, Medium (e.g. VISUAL SUBMISSION-John Smith, Art, Acrylic on canvas).