Fall submissions are currently open.
Fall submissions will be open through October 15th.
Published biannually, Exchanges is a journal of literary translation. Founded in 1989 by poet and translator Daniel Weissbort, Exchanges has published the work of award-winning writers and translators across the country and the globe, including Jeremy Tiang (2016 NEA Literary Translator Fellowship), Aron Aji (2016 & 2006 NEA), Jennifer Croft (2016 PEN, 2015 NEA) Yvette Siegert (2015 NEA), Diana Throw (2014 Best Translated Book Award), Urayoán Noel (2013 Canto Mundo Fellow), Clare Sullivan (2011 NEA), Craig Santos Perez (2011 PEN), Lawrence Venuti (2008 Robert Fagles Translation Prize, 2007 Guggenheim Fellow), and many others.
Exchanges is edited by current students of the Iowa Translation Workshop. To submit, please read the following guidelines.
- We publish translations of poetry, short or excerpted fiction, plays, and literary nonfiction. We also consider English-language reviews, interviews, and essays on translation and translation studies. Writers of reviews and interviews should query us by email before submitting.
- We also feature works of visual art alongside our translations. All media are accepted.
- We happily accept simultaneous submissions, but ask that you notify us if your work is accepted elsewhere. Note that we no longer accept submissions via post.
To be considered for publication, submissions must include:
- both the original and the translation;
- 50 to 100-word biographies of both author and translator;
- a short note on the process of translation (refer to our previously published notes for ideas);
- permission for online publication of the original.
Please collate the above in a single .doc or .docx attachment and email to email@example.com. Include the name of your author and the title of your submission in the body of your email.
Guidelines for length:
- poetry: up to 7 poems;
- fiction: up to 4000 words;
- drama: up to 15 pages;
- literary nonfiction: up to 4000 words, or up to 2500 words for translated criticism;
- reviews: up to 500 words (longer pieces may be acceptable if multiple works are being reviewed together);
- interviews: up to 2500 words;
- essays on translation: up to 2500 words.
To submit works of visual media:
- Please submit photos or scans of the media in .jpg format.
- Photos or scans should be at least 1000x1000 pixels in size, and 72 dpi resolution.
Please email visual media submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name, the title of the piece, and the medium of the piece in the body of your email.