Submissions for our Fall 2017 issue have now closed. Submissions are still welcome and we will continue reading them for our Spring 2018 issue.
We accept translations of poetry, short or excerpted fiction, plays, and literary nonfiction. We also welcome visual art submissions of any medium to be featured alongside our translations.
We also consider English-language reviews, interviews, and essays on translation and translation studies for publication on our blog. Writers of reviews and interviews should query the blog editor at email@example.com, subject line "Blog."
We happily accept simultaneous submissions, but ask that you notify us if your work is accepted elsewhere. Note that we no longer accept submissions via post.
To be considered for publication, submissions must include:
- both the original and the translation in a copy-pastable format;
- 50- to 100-word biographies of both author and translator;
- a short note on the process of translation (refer to our previously published notes for ideas);
- permission for online publication of the original text from the author or rightsholder(s).
Please collate the above in a single .doc attachment with file name formatted as translator's surname_author's surname_english title.doc (e.g. Smith_Doe_Stories.doc) and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make the subject line of your email SUBMISSION-Translator's name, Author's name (e.g. SUBMISSION-John Smith, Jane Doe).
Guidelines for length:
- poetry: up to 7 poems;
- fiction: up to 4000 words;
- drama: up to 15 pages;
- literary nonfiction: up to 4000 words, or up to 2500 words for translated criticism;
- reviews: up to 500 words (longer pieces may be acceptable if multiple works are being reviewed together);
- interviews: up to 2500 words;
- essays on translation: up to 2500 words.
To submit works of visual media:
- Please submit photos or scans of the media in .jpg format with the file name formatted as artist's surname_piece title.jpg (e.g. Smith_Art.jpg).
- Photos or scans should be at least 1000x1000 pixels in size, and 72 dpi resolution.
Please email visual media submissions to email@example.com. Please make the subject line of your email VISUAL SUBMISSION-Artist's name, Piece Title, Medium (e.g. VISUAL SUBMISSION-John Smith, Art, Acrylic on canvas).