Image credit: Eylul Doganay, "Each of its own"

View Artwork Credits
View full size

My favourite place 


My favourite place is a memory —


of waking up from an afternoon nap in the hammock in the garden belonging to my grandmother and her boyfriend (my old friend, she’d say) in the   district, the first day of the summer holidays.


It was always the first day of the wonderful, long summer holidays.


Her old friend had baked a streusel cake to welcome me (during and before the second world war he ran a cooperative bakery; his wife hanged herself before the Red Army’s advance) and placed a big warm slice on a porcelain plate, atop a wooden table dragged over especially for me.


Just like the first day of every summer holiday.


My grandmother, her voluptuous body laced into a corset even in summer, came out of the kitchen with a pot of GDR  for the two of us. She’d brewed real coffee in a mug for herself — my medicine, I need it for my heart.


I was allowed to eat my slice of cake and drink the coffee without rising from the hammock. The hammock was knotted between two apple trees; fallen apples lay beneath me, ripe yellow apples dangled above me, bushes with red, white and black currants grew next to me. Prickly gooseberry bushes, a little further.


I lay in the shadows; it was completely silent and the air was scented with warm cake. Then I opened my eyes. I longed for this place.


I’d arrived the day before, alone on the train from Berlin. On the last day of school, immediately after our report cards were issued, I had to call my mother at work to read out my grades, possibly apologise for a B — why didn’t you get an A, all you have to do is go to school, you don’t work all day like me, everything’s so easy for you, why don’t you work harder? What did Gaby get in this subject? Of course, an A.


All I had to do was call my mother in her office from the telephone box and say goodbye; then I could stay with my grandmother until the end of the holidays.


Every year since 1947, the seventh year of my life, my grandmother and her old friend would stand at Greifswald station when I alighted with the little suitcase I’d packed the night before. She pressed me to herself — my little child. He’d tie my suitcase onto his bicycle rack and we would go to the pharmacy in the market so I could be weighed. I didn’t weigh much more than on the first day of the holiday the year before. I was thin, tall and boney; she liked to feed me up over the summer holidays in order to report the kilos gained to my mother, the daughter-in-law to whom she otherwise never spoke, like a victory.


To the acquaintances we met in the old town, she’d say — this is my Gerd’s daughter. She gets to stay with me for the whole holiday. Then her old friend would walk the bike next to us all the way to the house along the apple path, an hour or so.


When we’d finished our welcome coffees, my grandmother would take the plates back to the kitchen. I’d climb out of my hammock, in which she had laid a woollen blanket, and help her carry things inside. Then I was to carefully pick the yellow apples, placing them one by one next to each other in shallow boxes, and to gather into baskets the black, white and red currants, and the blue and green gooseberries. Her old friend would begin stacking the cart with the fruit boxes for the next day. Early in the morning on the second day of the holidays, we’d push the cart for an hour to the market and assemble the boxes on a pre-prepared table, alongside the scales, the weights and the paper bags. A queue would quickly form, and I’d sell everything. He was free to light a cigar and gossip a little with the other vendors.


When everything was sold, we pulled the cart back to my grandmother, who never sold anything at the market — she was the widow of a headmaster, and therefore also to be addressed as Frau Doktor; it was she, after all, who had typed up his doctoral thesis.


When we came back, she’d have already made lunch, draining the potatoes as we opened the gate. After lunch she washed everything up right away; I on the other hand wasn’t expected to help with the drying. Instead I was allowed to lie in the hammock and read, until I fell asleep and woke up again —


at the  coffee table, already laid.


Until the end of the summer. And so I could survive any coldness. Every day. Even now.













Inner life


In the car these days I have to remind myself more and more often to accelerate, to steer so as not to careen off the narrow asphalt road to the village and sink into the muddy winter crop.


Something real depends on me.


I’m not just imagining everything.


Or only remembering everything —


remembering pathos. My mother’s face used to light up when she sang — when we walk side by side. There’s a photograph of her in the blue-shirted uniform of the Free German Youth, marching along in the front row of the Walter Ulbricht Academy at the World Youth Day rally, with all the cheerful international people.


Sounds like you’re schizophrenic, we’ll have to take you to a psychiatrist, my mother said to me at fifteen when I explained my sense of absent reality, the gentle painlessness of everything.


A boy in the twelfth grade had poisoned himself with cyanide, brokenhearted over his girlfriend. He'd asked me to dance at the school disco shortly before, and I was still swaying with him, feeling his arms around me, when he was already dead. Music offered me consolation and around this time I sometimes practiced the piano for six hours; over and over again I played a minor passage from a Mozart sonata. For a year my mother paid for lessons with a piano teacher until I was invited to perform, and she told my mother afterwards — your daughter has a real feel for the piano, she’s made fantastic progress. So my mother stopped paying for the lessons.


I had to stop.





The fourth verse


So sleepy am I, off to bed, To close my eyelids and rest my head, And while I sleep, protected be, Father keep an eye on me.


That was the highlight of my day as a child — hands folded, eyes shut, my mother sat on the edge of the bed singing. Three stanzas. Every evening — If I wronged today, Look on it not dear God I pray, Your grace and Christ’s blood, Take all my sins away.


Transfixed even now almost seventy years later, my body tingles as I write, head first then my arms — a soft, pleasant fizzing in my ears. Everything is okay, and everything will be okay. As a child I fell asleep and wouldn’t wake till morning.


She had light blond hair that she had treated at the hair salon —  even at ninety-nine years old she always had her hair washed, I have a mother who could never have washed her own hair. She had delicate hands and stern deep blue eyes that were frightening to me. But as a child in my bed at night, I couldn’t see her eyes as mine were closed. I can still hear her soft and bright  I felt protected by an invisible father.


When I looked up the original lyrics online yesterday, I found minor discrepancies in my memory — eyes not eyelids, crib not bed, pain not sins. So instead of sins, in the song he takes all my pain away; seventy eight years misremembered.


But yesterday I made another discovery — there is a further, fourth verse, that in all the years she never sang — To poor hearts send peace, And close sleepy eyes, Keep us in your watchful sight, And give us Lord a restful night.


Here, after three verses, “I” gives way to “us”. So she should have included herself, allowed  both of us to belong together, both of us to need protection.


So she only helped me.











A young father


When he was twenty-eight, my father wrote letters to his wife, my mother, from the front each day — letters lost in the war when she fled with me — and letters to his parents; 184 numbered letters carefully preserved and bequeathed to me, slowly disintegrating to become illegible.


At seven o’clock in the evening of 5 December 1941, on a frozen tributary of the Volga, my father was torn apart by a hand grenade and died instantly.


It is a trauma of my life —


This man, dismembered and unknown to me, his only child, whom I know only from his mother’s stories (he wouldn’t hurt a fly) and from his widow's memories (a family man who loved me, his one year-old daughter, but should’ve been more critical of National Socialism from the start). It happened outside Moscow, in Tver, then Kalinin.


It was only a month later on 9 January 1942 that his wife, my mother, was informed.


She was kneeling in the hallway of her Berlin apartment cleaning boots when the letter box clattered and a letter in a strange hand fell next to her on the floor:


Dearest Madam, (the company commander, a captain with a doctorate, wrote on 7 December 1941), sadly I am compelled to give you unhappy news before Christmas. In the assault on Kalinin on 5 December around seven o’clock, your husband was killed in the performance of his soldierly duty, true to his oath of allegiance to the flag. (At the end of the detailed letter it does not say Heil Hitler, but — with sincere sympathy).


In exile around the same time in 1942, Bertolt Brecht wrote the last verse of a ballad:


And what did the soldier’s wife get

From the distant Russian land?

From Russia she got a widow’s veil

A widow’s veil for the funeral

That she also got from Russia


My father was twenty-eight years, three months and one day old when he died. My father had just completed his legal training and taken his first post as an articled clerk at the Berlin Court of Appeal; he married a fellow student, also newly-employed, who five months later became my mother, and together they moved into an apartment in Kreuzberg. The summer was not yet over when he was called up to Hitler’s army. Into the Second World War.


My father died on the birthday of his own father.


The same captain, who two days later addressed my mother as ‘madam’ in a letter informing her of her husband’s death, had ordered my father to destroy, as he called it, a partisan detachment in a fold on the dunes of the Volga.


By then my father had long been seeking a promotion to officer, and saw this commission as a final test of his strength.


The Russian partisans defended themselves with hand grenades.


For days his comrades could not bury my father because they had to retreat; after recovering from the terror of the German invasion six months prior, as recorded in history books, the Russian Army’s counter-offensive had begun on 5 December 1941.


His mother wore black throughout my whole childhood, mourning black. Her second son died in the war two years later, and two years after that her husband, my father’s father, died during Greifswald’s surrender without resistance to the Red Army, following a name mix-up with a wanted SS man,


I saw too many tears as a child.


On the national day of mourning we sat at home by the wireless, later in front of a television, and listened to speeches in the West German parliament — for most of my life, until my fiftieth year, there was no day of mourning in the country I lived in, the GDR. At Verdun I watched handshakes symbolically across gravestones, a remote reconciliation.


When Chancellor Kohl and CPSU General Secretary Gorbachev mourned loved ones who had died in the Second World War, back in early 1990, were we really part of this reconciliation, we in the East?


Memorial plaques in churches in the GDR were mostly engraved with the names of the fallen of the First World War.


It was not until the end of the GDR that I also saw the names of dead soldiers from the Second World War, in new golden lettering. Yes, even in our tiny Mecklenburg village a wreath was laid by a commemorative plaque at the cornerstone of the church. It is still unusual to commemorate the German war dead, only natural for those who have arrived here from the West.


Not until German reunification has this remembrance been shared between East and West. And now even someone like me is allowed to feel a simple sadness that she lost her father in an incomprehensible war, before she could know him and love him, a father who had taken her in his arms and comforted her, who stood by her, smiling and forgiving.


Perhaps in peace time.  


Original ↓

Mein idealer Ort


Mein idealer Ort ist eine Erinnerung:


An das Aufwachen nach dem Mittagsschlaf in der Hängematte im Garten meiner Großmutter und ihres Freundes (mein alter Freund, sagte sie) in der Greifswalder Obstbausiedlung am ersten Tag der Sommerferien.


Immer am ersten Tag der langen wunderbaren Sommerferien.


Neben mich auf einen extra dorthin geschleppten Holztisch hatte dann ihr alter Freund (er war vor und im Zweiten Weltkrieg Chef der Konsumbäckerei, und seine Frau hatte sich vor dem Einmarsch der Roten Armee erhängt) ein großes Stück warmen Streuselkuchen auf einen Porzellanteller gelegt, den er zu meiner Begrüßung gebacken hatte.


Wie immer am ersten Tag meiner Sommerferien.


Meine Großmutter, sie hatte ihren üppigen Körper auch im Sommer in ein Korsett geschnürt, kam aus der Küche mit einer Kanne Muckefuck für ihn und mich. Für sich hatte sie in der Tasse einen Bohnenkaffee aufgebrüht: Meine Medizin, das brauche ich für mein Herz.


Ich durfte in der Hängematte liegen bleiben und von dort mein Stück Kuchen essen und die Tasse Muckefuck trinken. Die Hängematte war zwischen zwei Apfelbäume geknotet, unter mir lagen die Falläpfel, über mir hingen die reifen Klaräpfel, neben mir standen die Büsche mit den roten, weißen und schwarzen Johannisbeeren. Weiter weg die stachligen Stachelbeerbüsche.


Ich lag im Schatten, und es war ganz still. Und es duftete nach dem warmen Kuchen. Dann machte ich die Augen auf. Es war mein Sehnsuchtsort.


Am Vortag war ich allein mit dem Zug aus Berlin gekommen. Gleich nach der Zeugnisausgabe am letzten Schultag musste ich dort nur meine Mutter im Dienst anrufen, ihr meine Zensuren vorlesen, mich für eine eventuelle Zwei entschuldigen, wieso hast du da keine Eins, du brauchst doch nur in die Schule zu gehen und nicht den ganzen Tag zur Arbeit wie ich, dir fällt doch alles so leicht, dann musst du einfach ein wenig fleißiger sein, was hat denn Gaby in dem Fach, siehst du, eine Eins.


Ich musste mich nur von der Telefonzelle aus von meiner Mutter in ihrer Dienststelle verabschieden, bis zum letzten Tag der Sommerferien durfte ich nun bei meiner Großmutter bleiben.


Als ich an diesem letzten Schultag wie jedes Mal seit 1947 in meinem siebten Lebensjahr am Bahnhof Greifswald aus dem Zug stieg mit meinem kleinen Koffer, den ich am Vorabend gepackt hatte, standen sie schon da: Meine Großmutter und ihr alter Freund. Sie presste mich an sich: Meine Lütte. Und er schnürte meinen Koffer auf seinen Gepäckträger. Dann gingen wir zusammen zur Drogerie am Markt, um mich zu wiegen. Ich wog nicht viel mehr als am letzten Ferientag des vergangenen Jahres. Ich war dünn, groß und knochig, sie wollte mich in den Ferienwochen füttern und dann zum Schluss meiner Mutter, ihrer Schwiegertochter, mit der sie im Übrigen keinen Kontakt hatte, das Ergebnis in zugenommenen Kilos mitteilen wie einen Sieg.


Zu den Bekannten, die wir in der Altstadt trafen, sagte sie: Das ist die Tochter von meinem Gerd. Sie darf die ganzen Ferien bei mir bleiben. Dann schob ihr alter Freund neben uns das Fahrrad bis zum Haus im Apfelweg, bestimmt eine Stunde.


Als wir den Begrüßungskaffee getrunken hatten, räumte meine Großmutter das Geschirr wieder in die Küche. Ich stieg aus meiner Hängematte, in die sie eine Wolldecke gelegt hatte, und half ihr zu tragen. Dann sollte ich die Klaräpfel vorsichtig abnehmen und einzeln nebeneinander in flache Kisten legen, die schwarzen weißen und roten Johannisbeeren und die blauen und grünen Stachelbeeren in Körbe pflücken. Der alte Freund begann, den Handwagen mit den Obstkisten für den nächsten Tag zu packen. Am frühen Morgen des zweiten Ferientages zog er mit mir den Handwagen eine Stunde bis zum Markt, baute die Kisten auf den bereitstehenden langen Tischen auf, auch die Waage mit den Gewichten, daneben die Papiertüten. Schnell bildete sich eine Schlange, und ich verkaufte alles. Er konnte sich eine Zigarre anzünden und mit den anderen Verkäufern ein wenig plaudern.


Wenn ich alles verkauft hatte, zogen wir den Handwagen zurück zu meiner Großmutter, die nie auf dem Markt verkaufte: Sie war doch die Witwe des verstorbenen Schulrektors; darum ließ sie sich auch mit Frau Doktor anreden; denn sie hatte ihm ja seine Doktorarbeit ins Reine geschrieben.


Als wir zurückkamen, hatte sie schon das Mittagessen gekocht, goss die Kartoffeln ab, wenn wir das Tor öffneten. Nach dem Essen wusch sie alles gleich ab, ich dagegen musste nicht abtrocknen, sondern durfte mich in die Hängematte legen und lesen, bis ich einschlief und wieder aufwachte:


Am gedeckten Kaffeetisch.


Bis zum Ende des Sommers. So konnte ich alle Kälte überleben. Jeden Tag. Bis heute.



Vom Leben innen

Im Auto nehme ich mir jetzt öfter vor, nicht zu vergessen, dass ich Gas geben muss, dass ich lenken muss, um nicht vom schmalen asphaltierten Weg zum Hauptdorf in die lehmige Wintersaat zu fahren und dort zu versinken.


Dass von mir tatsächlich etwas abhängt.


Dass ich mir nicht alles nur vorstelle.


Oder mich nur an alles erinnere:


An das Pathos. Meine Mutter hatte dieses erleuchtete Gesicht, wenn sie sang: Wann wir schreiten Seit an Seit. Es gibt ein Foto vom Weltjugendtreffen, auf dem sie im Blauhemd der FDJ in der Verwaltungsakademie Walter Ulbricht eingehakt in der ersten Reihe mit lauter fremdländischen Menschen marschiert.


Du hast bestimmt eine Schizophrenie, wir müssen mit dir zu einem Psychiater, sagte meine Mutter zu mir fünfzehnjährigem Mädchen, als ich ihr von meinem Gefühl der Unwirklichkeit erzählte, dass alles schmerzlos wird und sanft.


Ein Schüler aus der Zwölften hatte sich nämlich gerade aus Liebeskummer um seine Freundin mit Blausäure vergiftet. Kurz vorher hatte er mich bei einem Schulball zum Tanz aufgefordert, und ich schwebte noch immer mit ihm und spürte seinen Arm um mich, als er schon tot war. Zu dieser Zeit übte ich manchmal sechs Stunden am Klavier, denn die Musik tröstete mich: Ich spielte immer wieder diese eine Mollpassage aus der Mozartsonate. Ein Jahr lang bezahlte meine Mutter mir den Unterricht bei einer Pianistin, bis diese mich zu einem Vorspiel einlud und danach zu meiner Mutter sagte: Ihre Tochter hat Gefühl für Musik, sie hat in diesem einen Jahr gute Fortschritte gemacht. Da bezahlte meine Mutter den Unterricht nicht mehr.


Ich musste aufhören.




Die vierte Strophe


Müde bin ich, geh zur Ruh, schließe meine Äuglein zu, Vater, lass die Augen Dein über meinem Bettchen sein.


Das war das Schönste an meinem Tag als Kind: Ich faltete die Hände, schloss die Augen, meine Mutter saß auf der Bettkante und sang. Drei Strophen. Jeden Abend: Hab ich Unrecht heut getan, sieh es lieber Gott nicht an, Deine Gnad und Christi Blut machen alle Sünden gut.


Hypnotisch, noch heute, fast siebzig Jahre später, wird mir beim Schreiben warm, zuerst im Kopf, dann in den Armen: ein leichtes wohliges Zischen in meinen Ohren. Es ist alles gut. Und es wird alles gut. Als Kind bin ich dann eingeschlafen und wurde nicht mehr wach bis zum Morgen.


Sie hatte hellblonde Haare, die sie mit einer Kurpackung beim Friseur pflegen ließ, auch mit neunundneunzig hat sie sich die Haare immer von anderen waschen lassen, ich habe eine Mutter, die sich noch nie die Haare selbst gewaschen hat. Sie hat immer noch zarte Hände und strenge dunkelblaue Augen, die ich fürchtete. Aber als Kind, abends in meinem Bett, sah ich ihre Augen nicht, denn ich hatte meine ja geschlossen. Ich höre noch heute ihre weiche und helle Stimme. Ich fühlte mich geborgen bei einem unsichtbaren Vater.


Als ich mir gestern den genauen Wortlaut des Liedes im Internet ansah, fand ich kleine Unterschiede gegenüber meiner Erinnerung: Augen statt Äuglein, Bette statt Bettchen, Schaden statt Sünde. Er macht also allen Schaden wieder gut in dem Lied und nicht die Sünden, achtundsechzig Jahre falsch gedacht.


Aber die Entdeckung gestern: Es gibt noch eine vierte Strophe, die sie in all den Jahren nie sang: Kranken Herzen sende Ruh, müde Augen schließe zu, Gott im Himmel halte Wacht, gib uns eine gute Nacht.


In dieser Strophe kommt nach drei Strophen mit »Ich« zum ersten Mal »Uns« vor. Sie hätte sich einbeziehen müssen, sie hätte uns beide als zusammengehörend und uns beide als schutzbedürftig ansehen müssen.


So half sie nur mir.




Ein junger Vater


Mein Vater, der mit achtundzwanzig Jahren Tag für Tag Feldpostbriefe schrieb, mit Bleistift, an seine Frau, meine Mutter, die sie verlor im Krieg, denn sie musste fliehen mit mir, und an seine Eltern, die sie getreulich aufbewahrten und mir vererbten, 184 nummerierte Briefe, die langsam unleserlich werden und zerfallen.


Mein Vater ist am 5. Dezember 1941 abends um neunzehn Uhr auf einem vereisten toten Arm der Wolga von einer Handgranate zerrissen worden und war sofort tot.


Es ist ein Trauma meines Lebens:


Dieser zerrissene, mir doch unbekannte Mann, ich bin sein einziges Kind, und ich kenne ihn nur aus Erzählungen seiner Mutter (er konnte keiner Fliege etwas zuleide tun) und aus den Erinnerungen seiner Witwe, meiner Mutter (er war ein Familienmensch, er liebte mich, seine einjährige Tochter, und stand ihrer Meinung nach anfangs den Nationalsozialisten nicht kritisch genug gegenüber). Es geschah vor Moskau, damals Kalinin, heute Twer.


Erst einen Monat später, am 9. Januar 1942, erfuhr es seine Frau, meine Mutter:


Sie kniete im Flur ihrer Berliner Wohnung und putzte Stiefel, als der Briefschlitz klapperte und ein Brief mit einer fremden Schrift neben ihr auf den Boden fiel:



Sehr geehrte gnädige Frau! (schrieb der Kompaniechef, ein promovierter Hauptmann, am 7. Dezember 1941), ich bin leider gezwungen, Ihnen noch kurz vor dem Weihnachtsfest eine traurige Mitteilung machen zu müssen. (Absatz.) In den Kämpfen um Kalinin ist am 5. Dezember gegen neunzehn Uhr Ihr Gatte gefallen, in soldatischer Pflichterfüllung getreu seinem Fahneneide. (Am Ende des ausführlichen Briefes steht nicht Heil Hitler, sondern: Mit aufrichtigem Mitgefühl.)


Bertolt Brecht schrieb zur gleichen Zeit 1942 im Exil als letzte Strophe einer Ballade:



Und was bekam des Soldaten Weib

Aus dem weiten Russenland?

Aus Russland bekam sie den Witwenschleier

Zu der Totenfeier den Witwenschleier

Das bekam sie aus Russland


Mein Vater starb im Alter von achtundzwanzig Jahren, drei Monaten und einem Tag.


Mein Vater war gerade mit der Berufsausbildung fertig, dem Jurastudium, hatte die erste Stelle als Referendar am Kammergericht Berlin, eine Mitstudentin geheiratet, die fünf Monate später meine Mutter wurde und damals auch ihre erste Stelle gefunden hatte, und eine Wohnung in Berlin-Kreuzberg bezogen. Der Sommer war noch nicht vorbei, da kam die Einberufung in Hitlers Armee. In den Zweiten Weltkrieg.


Mein Vater starb am Geburtstag seines eigenen Vaters.


Derselbe Hauptmann, der zwei Tage später im Brief meine Mutter mit Gnädige Frau anredete, um ihr den Tod ihres Mannes mitzuteilen, hatte meinem Vater befohlen, Partisanennester in einer Dünenfalte an der Wolga zu vernichten, wie er es nannte.


Mein Vater hoffte schon eine Weile auf seine Beförderung zum Offizier und sah diesen Auftrag als letzte Mutprobe.


Die russischen Partisanen verteidigten sich mit Handgranaten.


Tagelang konnten seine Kameraden meinen Vater nicht beerdigen, weil sie sich zurückziehen mussten, denn an diesem 5. Dezember 1941 hatte die Gegenoffensive der Roten Armee begonnen, steht im Geschichtsbuch, nachdem sie sich von dem Schrecken des deutschen Überfalls ein halbes Jahr zuvor erholt hatte.


Seine Mutter trug Schwarz, meine ganze Kindheit hindurch, Schwarz aus Trauer. Denn zwei Jahre später starb ihr zweiter Sohn im Krieg, und weitere zwei Jahre später starb ihr Mann, der Vater meines Vaters, an den Folgen einer Namensverwechslung mit einem gesuchten SS-Mann bei der kampflosen Übergabe Greifswalds an die Rote Armee.


Ich habe als Kind zu viele Tränen gesehen.


Am Volkstrauertag saßen wir zu Hause am Radioapparat, später am Fernsehgerät und hörten den Rednern im westdeutschen Bundestag zu, denn den größten Teil meines Lebens, bis zu meinem fünfzigsten Lebensjahr, gab es in dem Land, in dem ich lebte, der DDR, diesen Volkstrauertag nicht. Es war eine Versöhnung im Fernkurs, in Verdun sah ich symbolisches Händereichen über Gräber hinweg.


Wurden wir eigentlich mitversöhnt, wir im Osten, damals Anfang 1990, als Bundeskanzler Kohl und der Generalsekretär der KPdSU, Gorbatschow, über ihre im Zweiten Weltkrieg umgekommenen nahen Verwandten trauerten?


In den Kirchen waren zu DDR-Zeiten auf Tafeln meist nur die Namen der Gefallenen des Ersten Weltkriegs eingraviert.


Erst nach dem Ende der DDR sehe ich mit neuer Goldschrift auch die Namen der toten Soldaten aus dem Zweiten Weltkrieg. Ja, auch in unserem kleinen mecklenburgischen Dorf wird an einer Gedenktafel an der Feldsteinumgrenzung der Kirche ein Kranz niedergelegt.


Es ist immer noch ungewohnt, auch der deutschen Kriegstoten zu gedenken, selbstverständlich ist das nur für die Zugezogenen aus dem Westen.


Erst seit der Einheit Deutschlands gibt es dieses gemeinsame Gedenken in Ost und West. Und nun darf auch so eine wie ich einfach traurig sein, dass sie ihren Vater in einem irrsinnigen Krieg verlor, bevor sie ihn kennenlernen und lieb haben konnte, einen Vater, der sie in den Arm genommen und getröstet, der ihr beigestanden hätte, humorvoll und verzeihend. Wie auf den Fotografien im Album.


Vielleicht in friedlichen Zeiten.


Translator's Note

Helga Schubert won the Ingeborg Bachmann Prize in 2020 at the age of 80 for Zum Aufstehen (On Getting Up), 40 years after she was initially nominated and denied permission to participate by the GDR. The text is subtitled ‘a life in stories’, and the judges initially debated the line between autobiography and fiction: was the work sufficiently inventive? Schubert distills her life into 29 reminiscences, set against the historical backdrop that ruptured the lives of so many Germans of her generation, with her relationship to her mother at its centre. Schubert found she could only write about her mother after she had died (in 2017, at 101 years of age), and has described their relationship as the great unfulfilled love of her life; her mother repeatedly told her that she wished her dead in 1945 as she fled the Red Army. German history, specifically East German history, thus provides not only context but also an explanation, if not a justification, for the painful relationship at the heart of the book.

There's great sensitivity to Schubert’s writing, yet also the detached distance of an observer who is no longer in danger of succumbing either to trite embellishments or resentment for past cruelties. It is what it is, she seems to say, using plain, laconic prose to recount difficult memories without judgment. While translating this extract, which consists of the first four stories in the book, I tried to maintain this economic style by minimising relative sentences and opting for simpler word choices where possible. In order to convey the sense of detachment, I chose not to use contractions in the more emotionally difficult sections and used dashes similarly to add distance. I also sought to reproduce the rhythm and balance of the German where I could. In an interview Schubert spoke of “each sentence as a thought” and I kept this in mind while refining the translation, paring down sentences as far as possible while seeking to retain their essential meaning.

Lizzy Kinch


In the Classroom